Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Katrina and Extremists

Here's one of those posts I promised you.

As you all know, this week, a very large hurricane named Katrina passed through the US. I know, I'm not so good with terminology when it comes to weather (sorry), but that's pretty much what happened.

And so I thought, "Oh, it's hurricane season, and a hurricane developed and did its thing. Yeah, that's pretty normal. Being on Earth and all, it's expected."

But, oh, how wrong I was! Apparently all of this is happening because THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!!

That's right, folks, from the Righties, we find out that Katrina is a godsend, created to teach us not to mess with Israel (yeah, don't even get me started on Israel). A home for a home! Man, the God of the Old Testament is a real bitch. Too bad all the Apocalyptics never took the time to read the New Testament. That God was a lot more loving...

But the Lefties, not to be outdone in apocalyptic naysaying, have informed us that Katrina is the result of, you guessed it, Global Warming. So, that's why this HAPPENS EVERY FREAKIN' YEAR hurricane season occurred. Because of GW (and no, I'm not talking about our President). How silly of me.

What are us "sinners" to do? Perhaps teach THESE fundamentalists, because they're just as bad as any extremist "terrorist" out there (think about it for a second. A terrorist is someone who insights fear. What are these folks doing? Yep, inciting fear), some basic facts. So, if you're an Apocalyptic (I'd say Evangelical, but I'm pretty sure they're not all that crazy) Christian, guess what. Read the Bible again. Please. And try not to take is so literally. I mean, it's full of really good stuff. But when you take it literally, you're becoming like a kid that thinks, well, that the Earth was created in LITERALLY 6 days. Nuh uh!

The Leftie environmentalists. Well, I'm sure most of you would think that me, being hippie Dave, would sympathize with them and say, "Take care of the planet! Stop Global Warming!" Well, you're half right. I'm all for taking care of the planet. But also realize, you're on the earth. Hurricanes HAPPEN on the earth. So do tornadoes, and earthquakes, and thunderstorms. All these things happen on the earth. So don't blame "Global Warming," a pseudo-scientific "fact" for these normal occurrences. And read State of Fear.

And for both of you, take a step back, take a deep breath, and welcome back to reality! Yes, there are plenty of things we could take care of. Like poverty, starvation, AIDS, and excessive use of fossil fuels. So, why not place those pent up resources that have previously been used to make "converts" of us into these endeavors? Go for it!

Editor's Note:

Sorry if this article sounded a bit vitriolic. I was going for satire. But I don't know if that came across.

In general, my point is that we shouldn't lose our heads. Yeah, religion can get a little wacko sometimes. But so can science. In which case, I think taking a middle path of moderation is key.

Thanks for reading, and have a nice, non-apocalyptic day!

No comments: