Friday, August 12, 2005

"...the chance of learning proper values."

It's amazing how much I assume the rest of the world just makes sense. I just assume, yes, my kind of common sense is shared by everyone. But more and more every day, I learn that these ideas are not common sense, but rather my own personal biases of interpretting the world. However, I hope that after reading this, you'll agree with this particular "bias."

Gay adoptions. This is something we covered in AP Government. You know, the Texas legislature were trying to protect children from the "evils" of gays. Or to take a direct quotation from State Representative Robert Talton: "If it was me I would rather [leave] kids in orphanages as such - —this is where they are now if they'’re not fostered out. At least they have a chance of learning the proper values."

Wow.

And this isn't just an issue in Texas. The same ideology can be found in Utah, Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Oregon, Tennessee, and Virginia, amongst other states.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I don't see this as a "conservative vs. liberal" issue, or a "Republican vs. Democrat" issue. Or even as a "Christian vs. Secular" issue. No, I see it as an issue of human dignity. These men or women that wish to raise children that would otherwise not have families aren't allowed to because of their sexual preference. Excuse me? Are we living in the 18th century here? What does sexual preference have to do with the ability to raise children? There are literally thousands of kids that could use families, but these lawmakers would make that impossible. Why?

Anyway, the author of the article goes into far more detail than I ever could claim credibility for. But you get the general idea.

Politics. Why?

Namaste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, politics. I say just kill everyone.