Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Don't judge a man...

until you've walked a mile in his moccasins (or if you prefer, shoes).

We're going to play a little game. We're going to empathize with people! Yay! I can't here (hear... I hate homonyms) you cheering! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!

You see, one of the defining characteristics of a mature human being is the ability to see through someone else's eyes. This is one of the important stages that a person reaches, and it's usually reached around the age of puberty. That means that you, too, can do this! :)

Now, this is not a chance to "bitch" or be a victim. This is a chance to see what someone else feels like, how they see the world. It's a chance to see through their eyes.

So, let's begin, shall we? I'm just going to pick 7 categories: school, family, friends, dreams, worries, beliefs, and fears. I figure that covers my life in a rudimentary manner. If you can think of any other categories, feel free to add them for yourself.

School: I go to Chichester High School. I'm a senior. I'm the other-proclaimed genius of Chichester. I don't think I'm a genius. I just think I have slightly above average intelligence that is very good at memorizing things. Admittedly, sometimes I act the role given to me of "genius" because I can get rather arrogant about things that I feel like are common knowledge. But overall, I just try to learn as much as possible at school because I don't have a choice: I'm there whether I learn or not, so I might as well learn something from it. And I despise the "DaveDarmon" stereotype. Not that anyone came up with it. It just kind of formed over my school career. I'm human, and therefore imperfect, capeesh?

Family: I have a very loving, supportive family. I have a mother and father, an older brother, and an older sister. My family has always given me a healthy structure to live in, but at the same time allowed me to think on my own. My family has instilled in me the value of education, of being a good citizen, and of being a loving person. We fight sometimes, but what families don't.

Friends: I'm a pretty introverted person. So I don't have a massive number of friends. Instead, I have several close friends. I had a close knit group of friends, but we all know what happened to that. I enjoy good friendships. I especially enjoy just talking with my friends. Or just hanging out. I don't really need to be doing anything with my friends to enjoy being with them. Just being with them suffices.

Dreams: My greatest hope is to make some sort of contribution to the world. I want to leave the world significantly better off, by everyone's standards, than it was before I entered it. I don't know exactly how I might do this. I've said I want to join the Peace Corps, and I still do. But I don't know if that is the best way to use my skills. As of now, I think the way to best use my abilities would be to go into alternative fuel sources (let's face it, fossil fuels are running out and take a WHOLE LOT of time to make). I also hope to have a family someday. I don't know how many kids (but if I actually hold up to my one child limit ideal, you could guess how many), or where I want to live, but I do know that I want to "settle down" with a family. To complete the human being, you need both the yin and the yang. I hope to find that someone sometime, but I have no plans for that until college. I have a lot more dreams, but they'd probably fill a book.

Worries: As of now, my worries are that I won't make the most of my Senior Year. It's my last year in Chi, the year of High School when I have the most freedom, the most possibilities. But I'm afraid that somehow I'll just let it fly by. That somehow I'll miss it because of, well, being an ass. And then there's also that worry that all the activities I'm in won't work out. That they'll somehow fall apart. But that one is pretty unfounded. Those are my basic worries for now.

Beliefs: Now, this section could go on and on and on. Let's just put in my basic beliefs. The first one is pretty simple: Love has no opposite. And love is the driving force of the universe. It's also called "Eros" (for all you mythology buffs, that's the Greek God of Sexual Love) for the reason that it unites. You see, I believe that the universe is moving towards more unity, more complexity, and therefore, more love (take that Second Law of Thermodynamics!). Because of this, I believe that all humans are inherently good. Whether they know it or not, they're working towards this end, all in their own ways. I think the world has a great future coming up. All the people around me are great, and people around the world seem to be waking up to their own greatness. I believe in humanity.

Fears: What are my biggest fears? Well, being the perfectionist that I am, one of them is that I won't be able to fix things. If you know me, you know that I hate it when can't fix something. I also fear that the world won't wake up to it's potential. That somehow, humanity in it's infinite wisdom will fuck up too soon and blow itself into a nuclear oblivion. I also fear being alone. I know, who doesn't, right? I suppose the biggest fear I have of all is losing myself. By that I mean falling so far down that I break all my ideals, run away from my principles, and go crazy (running through the High School naked. I still need to do that!).

Well, I hope you've enjoyed this game. I invite any of you that want to play to share your results with my micro-blogosphere throught the comments section. Of course, I realize that this is rather personal. So if you just play the game on your own, I think you'll find it fun.

There, I can put up an interesting (in my opinion) post when I'm in a good mood. Phew. I thought I'd lost it. :)

Namaste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't I wearing a hat?

Anonymous said...

Heh... you're biggest fear is losing all of your ideals? Welcome to my world, happens all the time!