Saturday, August 27, 2005

I did it, I did it, I did it!

What did I do? Nothing all that special. I finished my Frankenstein essay. REMARKABLY easy to do.

Why did it take me so long to write this essay? Other than plain old, normal procrastination, there was something else. This crazy perfectionistic nature of mine. I didn't want to start the essay because I wanted it to be extremely well written. And since I haven't written in a while, (well, this is writing, but I mean something that will be "graded") I feared what it would turn out to be.

And that's the silly thing about perfection. As Mr. S says, perfection is unattainable, but one should still reach for it. I prefer to think of perfection as the journey itself. Every step along the way, do your best. And that's perfection.

And the moral? If you don't think you can do something, just try it. In this case, sit down, write a sentence. And almost magically, the rest of the essay will write itself. At least, that's how it works for me.

So, yeah, now I just have 2 more books and 2 more essays to write. But that's no problem. After something is done once, the rest follow more easily. Morphic fields. Cool (if somewhat out there) stuff.

And so that's my mission for tomorrow. Finish the Calc work and read some All Quiet on the Western Front.

Namaste, all. And enjoy some sun. Because it seems like Katrina is gonna be a bitch.

No comments: