Saturday, April 15, 2006

Shadow Boxing - Part Two - Seeing is Imagining is Believing

Time for the second installment of the shadow boxing post. And you thought I'd forgotten about it! :)

Today, I'm going to talk about the concept of belief, perception, and why it's so gosh darn hard for me to be social with strangers. Let me start off by saying that this post idea was more or less spawned by the recieval of the Pennsylvania Governor's School for the Sciences (PGSS) DVD (finally).

While watching that video today, I saw all my fellow govies galavanting around, having what I know to be a really great time. The funny thing is, still, now, after all the supposed "growth" I've gone through over the past year, I still don't see myself being able to meet and enjoy the company of those people. I still don't see myself capable of (now) going to governor's school and doing anything differently.

I've hit the nail on the head. I had a sudden inspiration, perhaps partially sparked by Steve Pavlina's post on negative thought patterns, that if I can't "see" myself doing something, I most likely won't do it. In this context, I'm using the words "see" to mean visualize / imagine / fantasize. Pick whichever word you want, or just think of it as "seeing" in the minds eye. Simply, if all the thoughts I ever have involving social situation with strangers conjure up images of dejection, lonerism, and discomfort, I'm never going to be able to artfully deal with strangers. Ever.

To resolve the issue, then, in my example, I have to imagine what Governor's school (a specific) or life (a general) would be like if I didn't have this block towards meeting and talking with strangers (even if I don't want to become their life long friend). I have to visualize myself having fun in those situations, actively going out to meet new people and taking advantage of time in new and different groups. Simply, I have to imagine myself extroverted.

Some might say this is getting way too new agey, self-helpey, and dopey. I claim it's a psychological principle. I don't have the science to back it up (right now), but I have a feeling that if I digged just a little, I could come up with a reasoning. For now, until the digging commences (because I honestly don't think you need to know why something works in order to understand how to use it), I'll assume it has to do with the RAS. I imagine this also has to do with why affirmations work.

The general procedure, then, If you find yourself with a self-defeating pattern, is to examine the pattern, and then try to imagine the opposite. If you think that you'll never be able to get in shape, don't avoid thinking about being in shape until you actually get there, or until you figure out a way to get there. Start to think of how it must feel NOW to be in shape. I'm not advocating pure positive thinking. I'm just advocating smart thinking.

Now, go and seek out that shadow that you've always assumed was "just the way it is," think of it's opposite, and start trucking!

Until next time, namaste.

PS - Wow, it's funny how big a disconnect there can be between ones thinking and ones actions. I totally "get" this idea, and I know the sort of power it could have to positively influence my life, and yet I rarely find myself acting on this information. Admittedly, my understanding this information at a cognitive level is relatively new, so maybe I should give myself more time. Then I'll be sure to walk my talk.

And besides, shouldn't I be paying attention to my own message and start thinking about what life would be like if I consistenly applied this method?!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds good; you probably have it more in depth that I did. This is basically the procedure that I use for whenever I do something that is extremely uncomfortable.

What I basically do is wipe out any thoughts of yesterday, step up to the plate, and take a swing. If I miss... I'm human... there's not much I can do about it, even if it means my life. If my life was taken because of my inadequacy of judgment or application of knowledge, my life was long gone before it even began..... yet, if I refuse to test the worthiness of myself... I'll live without ever really knowing my true capabilities... and that, to me, seems like a waste. Take a risk. Be someone else.... take action this very second. Don't put it off as a later assignment, and you honestly have nothing to lose. If you chose to do nothing, you have everything to lose.

David Darmon said...

Word