Saturday, April 29, 2006

God is Dead? Well, Maybe Your God!

I came across this interesting video clip from The Colbert Report. It's a discussion between Sam Harris, author of The End of Faith, and Mr. Colbert, the king of O'Reilly impersonators. Although The Colbert Report airs on Comedy Central, I'm suprised by the authenticity it often displays.

This one segment is an example of that authenticity. In this clip, Harris trys (in vain) to explain to Colbert (who plays the part of a fundamentalist Christian) why one can't possibly believe in a mythic (read most forms of) religion. Harris presents the typical rationalist / scientific argument against God, which Colbert refutes with 90 parts whit and 10 parts fanaticism.

Now, just a mild disclaimer about my beliefs. Though some may peg me as an "atheist" because I don't believe in a mythic, anthropomorphic "old man with a white beard" god, I do very much belief in a "higher power." I also believe that science goes way to far trying to explain (or explain away) things it can't quite handle. On that note, I do know the god I believe in is definitely not the "god" Colbert defends.

Enjoy the video.

Namaste.

No comments: