Friday, July 29, 2005

Good Bye CMU / Memories

The Science of Eternal Sunshine

Somehow it seems appropriate that this be the last topic I address from CMU.

As you've read in the article, scienctists are developing technology that could target a person's memories and erase specific ones.

If you could do that, would you? If you could erase any memory from your life, forget that it had ever happened, would you?

I don't think I would. No matter how painful the memory, I don't think that just forgetting it is the solution. The key is to remember it, live it, emerse oneself in it. Only then can one learn a lesson from it. Otherwise the experience has been for naught. And trust me, even if you don't remember the experience , it still happened.

This is one of those sciences that I think would make us less human, not more. Like life lengthening ones: do you really want to live forever? Being human involves living through some suffering. And the beauty of humanity isn't found in just the sunny places; it's also found in the shadows.

Don't worry, there aren't any memories from Governor's School that I want to erase. In fact, I've found this experience to be a very pleasant one. I don't know if it's "one of the memories that [I'll] keep with [me] forever," but it definitely is one of the best sets I've had.

I'm going to my grandmother's house in Elkhart, Indiana, tomorrow. I'll be there for a week.

Then I'll see you all around Chi. When I get home, I'm SO just going to drive around for an hour through Chi. Both to get a feel for driving again and to get a feel for Chi again.

Peace. Namaste.

No comments: