Wednesday, July 19, 2006

What do ya want to talk about?

I had an interesting epiphany. Everyone wants to talk about themselves. Yet everyone wants to have people listen to them talk about themselves. Therefore, there's this constant give and take between people talking about themselves and people listening (about themselves?).

I think that's one of the main differences between introverts and extroverts: though both may wish to talk about themselves, an introvert is less willing to actually do it. If you ever observe a conversation (as I've been prone to do over the past year), you'll notice that about 70% (yes, that's an arbitrary number) of it involves someone telling a story, relating an event from their day, or voicing an opinion. That never fails. And that's why extroverts can continue on with the conversation, making it all seem to flow from one concept to the other (because they keep talking about something [invariably something interesting] that happened to them) while an introvert will stumble to continue a conversation because they don't see how anyone could possibly be as interested in the introvert's internal / external world as that person is in his own.

Wow, random tangent, but I'd meant to get that thought out there for a while.

Now to the real point of this post. I was wondering if anyone would like to give me some topics to talk about. Maybe your'e interested in the inner machinations of my mind, or would just like a different spin on something you've been thinking about. No topic is off limits. I'm open to "ruminating" (haven't heard that word in a while) on anything.

This is what I had in mind with Think Bowl. I find the perspectives and colorings of our thoughts fascinating. And I figured we would want to share these thoughts with other people in an open forum. I thought of it as win-win. The site fizzled (though I see Lenny offered a thoughtful post just yesterday!), but the thought's still a good one.

I just thought I'd share that with you all. Thank you for your readership thus far. I've especially appreciated any and all comments, positive or negative. They all show me that you're genuinely interested and help to keep me on my toes, intellectually and as a person.

Namaste.

No comments: