Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Shit! The Apocalypse!



I guess it figures that fundies would find the slow destruction of any semblance of peace in the Middle East as a sign for the End of Days. I just forgot about them (I often forget that I live in a Christian (Fundamentalist) Nation...)

Then I consider the make-up of our nation. Here's a passage from Sam Harris' book The End of Faith. He explains the situation better than I could hope to.

According to Gallup, 35 percent of American's believe that the Bible is the literal and inerrant word of the Creator of the Universe. Another 48 percent believe that it is the "inspired" word of the same - still inerrant, though certain of its passages must be interpreted symbolically before their truth can be brought to light. Only 17 percent of us remain to doubt that a personal God, in his infinite wisdom, is likely to have authored this text - or, for that matter, to believe that God has guided creation over the course of millions of years). This means that 120 million of us place the big bang 2500 years after the Babylonians and Sumerians learned to brew beer. If our polls are to be trusted, nearly 230 million Americans believe that a book showing neither unity of style nor internal consistency was authored by an omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent deity.

Shit. If that doen't scare you, I don't now what will. Oh, wait, maybe the fact that one of those 35% currently heads one of our branches of government. Fuck.

One last fun factoid: did you know the bible claims that Pi equals 3 (check out 1 Kings 7: 23-26 or 2 Chronicles 4: 2-5)? Yep. Man, if only. Math would take so much less effort... [Well, you do have to do some math first, then you quickly find that Pi =/= 30/10]

I do all of this in fun, of course. Yes. Don't damn me! :)

But if the end does come in the next few years, you can send me straight to Hell. I don't want to hang with the fundies. Or their vindictive god. No fun, that bunch of characters.

Namaste.

No comments: