Tuesday, December 20, 2005

No Buddhism Here!

After a momentary burst of inspiration, I googled both "Buddhism Chichester" and "Buddhism Villanova." The first query resulted in tons of replies for Chichester, England, but none for Chicester, PA. The second query resulted in about 5 or so entries, all of which were indirectly related to either Buddhism or Villanova University.

And the conclusion: no Buddhism here. I guess it's not that much of a suprise. I mean, I wouldn't expect Southeastern PA to be some sort of stronghold of the Dharma. I guess that was just wishful thinking on my part.

Therefore, no joining of any sanghas anytime soon for me. Bummer.

Another option would be a self-formed sangha. But I know nowhere near enough about Buddhism, I'm nowhere near enlightened, and I have nowhere to house this "club." Though I do like the idea of a club based around some general precepts of philosophy, or even just responsible citizenship. I'll toss this around in my head / on this blog.

I guess I'll have Christian mysticism to look forward to at Villanova. I mean, St. Augstine is the patron saint of Villanova, and he was on of the greatest Christian mystics of all time.

Score.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Dave, about the vegetarian thing, do whatever floats your boat. You've always supported me with my crazy ideas so I can't see why I shouldn't support you.

I guess if you don't really like the taste of meat, it kinda makes sense. It just seems a little weird to me because the meat is what "makes" the sandwhich for me. But yeah, I can see you surviving off of wheats and stuff. Those are good. If I had a bag of rice to carry around for the rest of my life, I'd basically be good.