Thursday, December 22, 2005

A Christmas Story

Today has been quite the Christmasy day. I suppose that is to be expected four days before Christmas. It's nice to see everyone scurrying about with their Santa Claus hats and their gift bags attempting to find all their friends strewn throughout the school. It's nice to see someone who just half a month previously seemed absolutely desolate go around with small bags of candy to share with his classmates. It's nice to see a teacher that we otherwise thinks hates us (hack,cough... Ms. Hanobeck... hack, cough) give us candy and wish us a happy holidays. It's nice to immerse oneself in the loving atmosphere, look past all the glittery consumerism, and see people dealing in love.

But somehow, there must be a way to deal in love beyond this holiday season. I'm merely speaking for myself, but love, speaking personally, seems to trickle off post Christmas, and then it's just this general underlying theme in my actions. Not that this is a bad thing. Just that the fire hydrant-esque stream of love just kind of seems to trickle to a nice sink-esque stream. Maybe that happens as not to break the plumbing?

Luckily, I have all my life to deal in this art. And I was granted this human life to deal in it, well, artfully. Because dealing in love is an art. Just as difficult and important as painting, playing a musical instrument, or learning how to dance. There's always a give and take between the artist and the art. Just like in life.

Luckily, also, I have friends that share this love with me. Whether its learning about Buddhism from Lama Surya Das or from the Dalai Lama, or catching a laugh from some silly people calling in from 911, I am certain to become more human, more alive from these gifts. And of course, if in all the bustle I forget what Christmas is about, all I need do is open The Story of Christmas to remember that "we give gifts on Christmas to show our love."

Amen.

No comments: