Thursday, December 29, 2005

King Kong: Drama, Action, or Psychological Study?

I saw King Kong today. Pretty good movie. Lots of action and very little plot. But there's nothing wrong with that sort of movie every once in a while.

Anyway, my title is as it is because I found a certain aspect of the movie intriguing, namely the psychological part. If you don't know the basic plot, there's this girl and a really, really big gorilla. The girl has already fallen for this play writer, but she ends up falling for King Kong after he saves her from some t-rexes (I think, the whole movie's some sort of blur right now). The hero playwriter dude trys to "save" her from King Kong, and King Kong gets pissed off. When he finally gets the chick back, he acts all sorts of hurt and basically says (through body language), "Fuck you ho, I don't need you." But eventually he turns into the grabby crazy male that just won't let go. He alternates between these two states throughout the movie until he ends up killed by the awesome Americans.

Amazing, a case study into the male psyche rapped up in a seemingly banal action movie. This is definitely something I could write a newspaper article on: why guys, otherwise seemingly solid, strong dudes, turn to jell-o gelatin at the whim of a woman. It'd make for interesting research, at the least.

Well, that's all folks. Enjoy these last 5 days. And New Years is just two days away. Oh dear. Anyone have any plans. Otherwise, I'll be spending this New Years all alone. Not the end of the world. Not the beginning either.

Namaste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are you counting days, Dave?

First you said we had 12 days total, then you said we have 5 days left... I count Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon = 4 days.

Is there something I'm missing?

David Darmon said...

Nope, not missing anything. I just can't count. :)

Or maybe it was wishful thinking...

Nope, I just can't count...