Monday, June 19, 2006

A Satirical Look at Introversion

I came across a brilliant essay on introversion today while browsing through Salon. This essay, written by a self-proclaimed introvert, Jonathan, discusses what it's like to be an introvert from an introverts perspective. I've often wondered if other people out there shared these traits with me (as I mused in this post), and now it's good to know that I'm not alone. I know that my mother and sister are introverts, and my brother and father are mildly extroverted (depending on who they're around). It runs in the family. But I've often wondered how "normal," from a psychological standpoint, being introverted is. This article offers an interesting answer.

Seriously though, check out this essay. It's a quick read. No more than 5 or so minutes. And it clears up so much confusion about introverts actions that may seem rude or antisocial. My favorite quotation out of it is as follows:

Extroverts are energized by people, and wilt or fade when alone. They often seem bored by themselves, in both senses of the expression. Leave an extrovert alone for two minutes and he will reach for his cell phone. In contrast, after an hour or two of being socially "on," we introverts need to turn off and recharge. My own formula is roughly two hours alone for every hour of socializing. This isn't antisocial. It isn't a sign of depression. It does not call for medication. For introverts, to be alone with our thoughts is as restorative as sleeping, as nourishing as eating. Our motto: "I'm okay,you're okay—in small doses."

This is obviously meant to be comedic, so don't take umbrage at what Jon says about extroverts.

My opinion is that it takes all kinds. I just happen to be in the minority in this dichotomy too. What would I ever do if I were in the majority? Oh, wait, I'm a white middle class male. Sigh.

Namaste.

Blogged with Flock

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the link:) as an introvert, I appreciated it. The interuppting thing is something extroverts have a hard time unlearning. My wife, an extrovert, learned so much when we took the mbti:) you might already know of these books, but here's a link:
http://www.integralawakening.com/ia/2006/03/a_few_books_on_.html

Barx Atthemoon, Warden of Tunare said...

Interesting read, especially since I'm also an introvert. I like how it conveys its point in a humorous fashion.
--
The word of the day is pwffdjw.