Saturday, June 10, 2006

Order, Chaos, and Scheduling

There comes a time when just going with the flow doesn't cut it anymore. Yes, I've definitely written on this before, but I feel like writing on it again, just so I can really GET the idea.

First, some background. For the past month or so, I've gone about my day by following whatever idea happened to pop into my head. If I decided, "Hey, lets check our e-mail" (yes, I'm referring to myself in first person plural!), then I would go out and do that. If I decided, "Hey, let's just check a website again," I'd do that as well. I didn't really plan out my day in any way, assuming (wrongly) that my monkey mind would somehow guide me to do the most important things in my life. Wow, how incredibly wrong is that?

More often than not, my mind would tell me to do lots of OCD things: check my e-mail multiple times per day, check my RSS reader multiple times per day, put on music just for the sake of putting on music. Most of the important things I (the higher "I" not led by the pure pleasure / pain dichotomy) wanted to get done just didn't get done: no meditation, no exercise, no creative / analytical writing, no studying, nothing. Therefore, the second half of May and the first half of June went by and I didn't' accomplish anything.

It's important to point out that this doesn't mean these past months haven't been enjoyable. With all the socializing (graduation parties) and random fun (cards in school, random outings, etc.), I've had a great time. There's just that sinking suspicion that I could have had MORE fun. Well, more REAL fun. If you know what I mean.

So, instead of going into a discourse as to why scheduling is important (something about creating a basic ordered framework around which chaos may form a more organic schedule), I'll just leave you with this anecdotal evidence. When I plan out my day, I enjoy my day. When I don't plan out my day, I may or may not enjoy my day.

'Nuff said.

No comments: