Wednesday, March 15, 2006

MySpace: The Bane of Our Generation

Disclaimer: I too have a MySpace account. But I don't especially use it all that hard core. I look at the comments whenever someone leaves one, and I occasionally look at the posts for a good laugh. Other than that, I'd definitely say I'm a moderate user. Plus, as I say in this article, I have nothing against the concept of MySpace, just the execution.

In a similar vein the post from Hamlet below, I'm going to do some random MySpace bashing. But first, let me discuss the virtues of MySpace, for certainly MySpace is an honorable man (okay, I'm done with the Shakespeare references now).

MySpace really is a great tool. In the beginning (I think), MySpace was used as a means for marketing up and coming (or up and never really going to come) bands. It later evolved into what it is today: a social networking tool.

Social Networking is great. Especially in the Age of Information, where it's easier than ever to find new people based on where they live, their interests, etc., and talk to them. Used properly, MySpace can definitely create an extremely positive, proactive community. It's a giant step towards a Global Consciousness, I have no doubt. Maybe someday historians will look back on our generation and see MySpace as the Grandfather of a new age of human society.

In the meantime, and despite all these positive things about MySpace, I find it interesting to note many of the negative affects of MySpace, and how they reflect our generation as a whole. MySpace is a social networking site, yet a great deal of people use it simply to look at life through their shiny computer screens. I don't know if it's just me, but doesn't the "social" part of social networking imply that at some point, the user should go out and socialize? I know I'm being very black and white here, very stereotypical, but I find it interesting to find the number of times a person's comment reads, "I'm bored. Someone talk to me." Why not go out and talk to someone? Or just go and do something. You're bored. Do something. A simple equation.

Another of the pathologies related to MySpace, and to the "emo" subgroup, is the obsession with ones self to the point of narcissism. I've never actually gotten into a conversation with anyone that's said something like, "I have X-ty billion friends, that must mean I'm cool!" but I'm sure such conversations have happened. And come on, spending all that time to make some digital space look cool for your "friends" (what percentage of people's "friends" are actually friends?) think your cool? What's the point? Then there's the "depressive" MySpace users who use their accounts to extol the horrors of their existence (noone likes them, their dog died, or they failed a tough math test), seemingly ignoring that they are only one of millions involved in the same plight (many of which also have a MySpace account and therefore could be communicated with). Ironic that such isolation would occur on a social networking site.

I know I'm being a bit negative and hard on people that I could probably easily have been identified with last year. But that's just it. I was them just a short time ago, so I can more easily see where they're coming from and why it's so sad.

We, as a generation, have the tools at our disposal (including MySpace, if used properly) to change the world. I just hope we realize that before the spiralling abyss of depression sucks us into a MySpace of doom.

In the meantime, enjoy that guilty pleasure that is MySpace. But in moderation. Always in moderation.

Namaste.

Note: I hope this was a nice break from all my personal development spiel. Don't worry, I'm still working on it in the background. While sloughing through MySpace's. (Just Kidding) :)

No comments: