Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Cognitive Dissonance Theory: A Practical Example

I've bought myself a psychology textbook for a self-study project over the coming months, so you can probably look forward to some (unsubstantiated) musings on my part in the near and current future.

In my reading, I came across an idea known as Cognitive Dissonance Theory, or CDT for short. CDT is a subfield of the attitude-follows-behavior branch of psychology, which basically states that when you do something enough, eventually your attitude will align with that doing. CDT more specifically discusses why this happens. For example, say that you think of yourself as a moral person, but then you go out and rob a bank. This will result in some sort of cognitive dissonance until you either (a) start to think of yourself as an immoral person or (b) stop acting immorally.

I find this theory so interesting because it puts to words how I've felt for so long about my own authenticity. I have all these really high ideals and guiding values, this over-the-top purpose, and many many beliefs about how I and my life in general should be, but when I look at my life, it couldn't be further from the mark. I'm being overly pessimistic here to prove a point, but the points still there. This is similar to Abraham Maslow's statement that "the self-actualized person will be what he must be." If you don't always reach and strive to approach your "higher" self (although that higher self is in fact simply a mirage), you're going to be unhappy.

Right now I'm feeling this a lot. I've been letting little things in life get in the way of me being happy and doing what I love to do. Instead I've been moping around the house, watching televsion / movies and generally being what I don't want to be. At the same time I'm blaming external things (boring school, lack of sleep, etc.) for my low mood and wasted time. This in turn makes me feel bad, thanks to cognitive dissonance. The cycle loops and loops until something gives. And something's got to give.

I know I'll break the cycle eventually. Usually, I'll just have a really good day, and that will give me enough momentum to push through to a positive feedback loop.

But why wait until then? Why not embrace the feedback loop now?

:)

I hope everyone's having a pleasant, fulfilling evening.

Namaste.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yup. Otherwise you would go insane. That's why old people always hate young people because the old people have to deal with the physical impairments that eventually make them "who they are"