Sunday, February 26, 2006

A Legacy?

The next week is like finals week at college: the most important match of our Hi-Q season is Monday, and regionals of Science Olympiad is Wednesday. Those are the two chances for Chi to make something of itself. Two chances to put Chi on the map.

Thinking about this, I had a very strange thought a few days ago. "Why?" Namely, why do I care. I know that I care about these two days, but why? I realize I'm a senior, so I won't even be at Chichester next year. I'll never attend a Science Olympiad competition again. I'll never be in another Hi-Q match. This is the end. This is it. So why care?

"Why care?" is the larger question. An existential question of sorts. My question about caring about Sci O and Hi-Q is the exact same question about asking why one should care about life. The honest answer to both these questions is "Because I choose to." Nothing more, and nothing less.

I/We can only hope to leave a legacy. After we get first in Hi-Q (fingers crossed) and go to States (other fingers crossed), we'll have set a precedent for future students. We'll have set up a morphogenetic wave at Chi that can really make a difference. Similar to when the "impossible" to beat 4 minute mile was beaten, and then suddenly people all across the world were breaking the 4 minute mile.

A legacy, then. A legacy.

Namaste.

PS I wrote this while listening to Ragtime, so if it makes no sense, that's why. I don't think musicals should be used as backgroud music. They're not really the sort of music you can just ignore. Lesson learned. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best reason ever is because you're going to die anyway... try something different.