Sunday, October 02, 2005

Woe is Me

Well, I just wanted to explain this whole video escapade, so that you can understand why everything didn't transpire as planned.

Today I got the brilliant idea of posting our marching band show on the internet. Genius, I thought. It'll be a piece of cake.

I exported the video (which is about 6 minutes long) out of iMovie, and it came out to be a whopping 15 MB. That doesn't sound big, but when you're talking about uploading / others downloading this file, that is almost unmanagable. Plus there's the simple fact that I'm not super computer proficient (at least compared to how I used to be).

Then I attempted to upload it to video hosting sites, including VidiLife. These sites don't support Quicktime (yes, I know Ed, Apple is the Antichrist. :) ), so that idea didn't pan out too well.

Then I tried hosting it from my Power Mac. That should have worked, but for reasons unknown (and perhaps unknowable [duh, duh, duuuuuh]), it didn't. The other computers on my network can pick it up. But apparently computers not on the network cannot.

So, I ended up with a tiny video (only 4 MB) that is hosted from Comcast. Not quite what I was going for. Not quite it at all.

But now I found out that Google has video hosting! And a special uploading application! So I might just get the decent one up tonight!

This would involve staying up about an hour later than I'd like. But who needs sleep anyway.

I love Google. Sometimes I fear them becoming the Microsoft of the internet, but then I realize that Google doesn't come out with inferior products. :)

Enough of my bantering. And I had a good topic to talk about today too (how the human mind finds patterns in everything). I suppose I'll get to that later. Sigh...

Good night.

2 comments:

..... said...

Hey David!
Totally can relate where you're coming from regarding the amount of effort to get something done. It sure seems pretty easy from an outsider's point of view sometimes. I've had my share of disappointment regarding plenty of video and graphic projects, but I'm a quick study and pick up things fast. You'll definitely get better at it, you seem like the kind of person who doesn't give upp, and can take a step back, have a bit of a break and conitue until that success is achieved. Drop by my blog if you like, feel free to post a comment. I use posted comments as a link to some of the blogs I've visited.

Taylor Is My Name

Barx Atthemoon, Warden of Tunare said...

One more thing (well, you can count it as one package).

To get your PowerMac to host it, you need to find out your REAL IP address. The 198.162.whatever one is your computers address given out by your router. 198.162.anything addresses only work inside the same network (think of them as an intranet IP and not an internet IP). Basically, this lets the internet have more than (256)^4 computers on it. It lets the internet have (254)(255)(256)^2 adresses (plus or minues a power of 2) each of which can be a network with (256)^2 computers on it. Basically, in your situation, your router gets the internet ip address and then its job is to give every computer it serves an intranet ip and keep the data from getting mixed up. I could get into DCHP and the wonders of mutiple routers and the 6 octet ip address.. but its 10 and im getting tired, so back to the how to...

So, once you find out your computer's real IP (just google "whats my IP" for a site to find it) you need to set up your router to forward port 80 to your computer's intranet ip address. I don't know what kind of router your have, so I can't give explicit instructions, but usually point your browser to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 and you can access the router's interface and set up wonderful things like port forwarding, which you need. With that done you should be able to be accessed from the internet.

Now I don't know about the PowerMac's hosting features, so I won't get into hosting and virtual directories and all those wonderous things. Instead, I'll say that you can get a free DNS entry for your IP so that people don't have to remember a string of numbers, just some nice little text. www.no-ip.com offers a bunch (thats what I use for both nhs.serveftp.com and the other alias lordebon.serveftp.com which both point to the same place right now). And thats all you need to have your own little server on the big ol' intarweb. Easy, huh?

If you have any questions, you know how to find me lol.