Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Well, Gee, What's a Guy to Do

I was reading in one of the several books that I spend my life reading instead of living and I came across something called "Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems." This topic is totally unrelated to the premise of the book (I wasn't reading a math book for fun!); it was really about mindfulness. But the guy was making a point about mathematics.

Anyway, I won't try and explain what Gödel's thingie is. To be honest, I don't understand it myself. I'm pretty sure it's something about how sets can't be defined in mathematics. Something my Gov School Discrete Math Teacher said. Since all (well, most of) math is defined by sets, that means that math is based on something without a definition.

The author, Kabat-Zinn, compares the Incompleteness Theorems in mathematics to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle in physics. Which made me think, 'Shit, we really don't know shit.'

And I just thought I'd share that with you. Maybe you've learned something. Maybe not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol yeah... scary isn't it