Sunday, October 09, 2005

The Road Travelled (and Not)

With all this hullabaloo about choosing a college coming up, I got to thinking about an odd concept: where I choose to go to college will greatly affect the next 4 years of my life. No lie.

By this, I mean it will dictate, in one way or another, who my new friends are (don't worry, current friends, with the Machine [aka the interweb] alive and growing, we'll keep in touch like peas and carrots), what activities I do, what career path I follow, and, in a more general sense, EVERYTHING. Just from the simple decision of what college I go to (AKA what place accepts me and gives me the most money).

It's baffling in a way. But on the other hand, when I consider that ANY choice I make results in the same sort of life-defining-ness, it becomes quite ordinary. Not ordinary in a bad way though. No, ordinary in the sense that it's fucking amazing that life works this way, and that humans manage to not go insane going through it.

Think about it. When you make that choice to go to the party instead of staying home studying, you might meet the girl of your dreams / a new best friend / absolutely noone. You might get hit by a car on the way home. You might meet the person who points you onto a new career path. How many seemingly simple choices like whether or not you go to a party do you make throughout the day? Tens? Hundreds? Thousands? And they ALL potentially have this far reaching consequences.

There's an analogy in quantum physics, if you'll allow me to go there. Every particle theoretically travels EVERY POSSIBLE PATH that it can before deciding on the one it "actually" takes between two points. So, if you put a particle in a box, and it goes from point A to point B, in reality it traveled every possible route (and I'd assume there are an infinite number of them) from A to B. Every route.

In much the same way, we live our lives, travelling from point A (birth) to point B (death). And we can only take one path. But there are an infinite number of paths we DIDN'T take. An infinite number.

Fuck.

I guess all a guy can do is go through life. Make the best choices he can. And just pray that he made the best ones.

Though in the end, the choices that you make are the choices that you make. And where you are is where you are. And it could be no other way.

1 comment:

Barx Atthemoon, Warden of Tunare said...

Poor Particle Dave. Yes it does take every road... because there is a universe for each path taken. Now that makes consciousness a funny little topic... if "your" life is nothing but a series of universe infinifircations (thats a word of my own creation... means splitting into an infinite number of parts/paths) how are you conscious? Time is quantitized... so how do you 'think?' How does your consciouness pick which universe you go into? Or does it infinifircate too?

Now thats some deep shit. Hehe. The more we learn about the quantum world, the less we seem to know.

Lets just all blame it on the God particle.