Monday, October 03, 2005

Intelligence, Vocab, and My Hatred of Big Words

Hi everyone. Sorry about the band video. I'm told it isn't working. And Google is still "pending." Well, there's always next week. Perhaps I'll get it right then.

Anyway, I'm going to start a rant here, and see what you all think. Sitting in AP English class, we're constantly told that a big vocab = big intelligence. I personally think that's a bunch of hoowie. Maybe it's because my vocab isn't ginormous. But I truly believe that smart people have big vocabs, not that big vocabs signify a smart person.

And I don't like using big words just for the sake of using big words. I mean, if a smaller, descriptive word works, why use a larger word? "Oh, that's not enough syllables. Let's use 4 syllable word. Oh, I know! Bildungsroman! Now I sound smart!" What's the point?

Not that I'm busting the chops of all you big vocab people out there. I just think little words are getting a bad rap. In AP English, at least.

But I'm only "proficient" in writing. So what do I know... :)

I'm off to an evening of reading, reading, and reading.

Peace out!

No comments: