Friday, November 18, 2005

Reconsidering this Whole "Hippie" Idea

Found this scathing review of hippie-dom by Stuart Davis:

"[Because] that hippy bullshit is just pre-conventional, self indulgent masturbation masquerading as post-conventional non-conformity. And that's ice in Love's underwear. The pre-conventional / post-conventional shell game is as old as the human condition. Every unkempt, malodorous counter-culture freak who's gone camping and taken acid thinks he's John The Baptist (post conventional), and the fact is, they're not."

Good point. Similar to what Brian Sheridan has constantly told me when I say I'm a "hippie." Perhaps I need a new group to identify with. I suppose I don't really know who the hippies were. They just seem so cool with the love, peace, and what not. Oh well, acceptance is the first step towards recovery. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol, just because hippies aren't what they appear to be, you'll always be hippie Dave to me.

Maybe you can be a new generation of hippies. "The good hippies"

Anonymous said...

um... grammatical correction

"just because hippies aren't what they appear to be, you'll always be hippie Dave to me."

how bout we change that to

"just because hippies aren't what they appear to be, you'll still be hippie Dave to me"

Anonymous said...

damnit... that still doesn't work... let's try this again

"Even though hippies aren't what they appear to be, you'll be hippie Dave to me"

Damn... and I wonder why my SAT english score is so bad.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm totally awesome. Now that's what you get for throwing the word 'hippie' around so profusely. That's right, I totally rock. And there's nothing you can do to deny it. Aww yeah.

Anonymous said...

Haha, yeah, that was me. Nice.