Friday, November 11, 2005

A New Thought

I've found a new field of study to be interested in. Namely biomimetics. Stated simply, biomimetics is the study of nature to figure out how to make things "better." Now, define "better" anyway you like. Personally, I'd define it as making things safer, efficient, energy effective, and aesthetically pleasing, probably in that order.

I had this epiphany because I know I want to go into Science. I don't know if I want to study Physics or Chemistry. To tell you the truth, I don't see why there's a distinction between the two [though some might say that Chemistry is the good stuff and Physics is just "that velocity and accleration stuff" :)]. In addition to these two bases, I just kind of find Biology really cool. Just like that fact that we're even here, and that we're [defined as anything in nature] so good at what we do ["designer" or no]. The science of the future won't really have distinctions between the fields, in my opinion. Interdisciplinary is the word of the future. Which is looking good to me.

Why go to nature for design? Let's take cellular respiration for example [since we're all dead tired of it]. Okay, this "simple" process that goes on in EVERY aerobic cell / organism (that includes you, if you didn't know) creates clean energy at 40% efficiency (ie it takes out 40% of the energy it can from the starting organic compound). Compare this to a power plant, which has an efficiecy of 36-37%. And that's with using fossil fuels and creating all sorts of waste. In this competition, it's Nature, 1, Man, 0.

And the limits are boundless. And practical. I don't want to do theoretical physics. It has its place, but it just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't spark my passion. THIS area does. I suppose it's another option to add to my queue of aspirations. "I wanna be a firefighter. No, an astronaut! No, a..." You get the idea. :)

Thought I'd share. And while I'm at it. What do you want to be?

And good luck with whatever that may be.

Peace!

[PS Don't buy into that "money is happiness" stuff. You can be the richest bastard in the world, and still be miserable. Or you can be the poorest smuck in the world and be freakin' jovial. It's all in you, not the money.]

[Wow, do you think I used enough brackets? :)]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, biology is pretty neat. Sounds like a cool major to get yourself into. Although you're probably going to have to get aquainted with the human body much more thoroughly, such as looking at severed people and such. Good stuff. Hope you don't mind ;).

I would have gone into a biology major because I find the human body or just nature in general to be absolutely fascinating, but everyone wants you to go into biomed. Of course you know the adversity there. The other day I heard a commercial about how they're working on understanding how aging works so it can be reversed. I thought to myself... we're fucked, with a capital F. lol.

Oh well, don't let my opinions deter [pronounced dee'turr, lol, Kevin Maleike said deet'er] you. I don't think you ever have, but stay true to yourself and you'll go far in life. If worse comes to worst, I'll just have to fight and kill people for food when [or if] the time of desperation comes.

Anonymous said...

oo i am alluded to in this one..yay!
seriously man, thats so awesome. that whole thing is like ezactly what i think/want (cept for the whole physics thing :) ) only like a jillion times more articulate than i could ever be. biology IS really cool! and making things better! even cooler! yay dave. you rock.

it would be cooler tho if people could do medical stuff without cutting people open..uhhh...like by using chemistry...is that possible ? :-/ youre the man, you can figure it out :-D

Anonymous said...

Of course money = happiness! Thats one of the axioms that I live my life by... like vocabulary = intellect, lmao!

- Ed, who doesn't feel like logging in.