Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Good Stuff

So, me being the hippie that I am (cringes, prepared for berating), I found this awesome site called TreeHugger.com. Well, it's really not all that awesome. I just thought it was pretty funny. I found it through a CharityFocus newsletter/quote thing. Yeah, I am so way too liberal for my own good.

The irony of it all is that I haven't ever really enjoyed the outdoors, yet I'm all crazy about saving the environment. It's kind of like that fact that I want nothing more than to help people, but I don't really handle people well. It's really funny, in a way. And a little disconcerting. I suppose I should really think about why I want to be so altruistic. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, it is a good thing. But going into such acts blindly, without knowledge of my true motives, could be dangerous / stupid.

On a similar but different note, I've decided that the ultimate life for me would be some sort of Cyber Monk. Like, me just living in the world, with nothing but a labtop and some clothes. Well, it sounds really lame when I put it out there. But I think it'd be a blast. Kind of a mix between Henry David Thoreau's Walden and Ray Kurzweil's The Singularity. Taking the best of both worlds, and negating the, well, negatives. Yeah, I'm weird. Sigh.

Hm, an interesting post (for me, at least). I hope everyone is still enjoying life. Not that anyone would not enjoy life. At least, I'd hope not.

And in preparation to my teaching of The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail, here's a quote by the T-Man himself.

"To be a philosopher is not merely to have subtle thoughts, nor even to found a school, but so to love wisdom as to live according to its dictates, a life of simplicity, independence, magnanimity, and trust." -- Henry David Thoreau

Word.

No comments: