Monday, January 09, 2006

Christianity

Well, I don't often post on Christianity. Namely because the only version of it I tend to see is the hooting, hollering, evangelical, Fundie sort (I'm going to coin that term, fundie. You just wait, in a year, everyone will be using it!). But I came across an interesting, non-crazy Christian lately. Not that most Christians are crazy. Just that the most vocal sort tend to be. And it gives the rest of us a bad name.

The man calls himself the "Real Live Preacher", and his blog is here. I first found him in an article from Salon about the show The Book of Daniel. I had wanted to post something about this show, but I figure if you just read the Real Live Preacher's view, you'll mostly understand mine. The way I see it, it's like Desperate Housewives, with Jesus. Not that there's anything wrong with Desperate Housewives, it's just not my type of show.

Finally, I really liked one of his posts here. I would, once again, make my own post on this topic, but why reinvent the wheel? He speaks very eloquently on the idea of cause and effect, in this case in relation to childbirth. It reminds me of The Butterfly Effect. Damn, that was one profound movie. I think I may just watch it again. I remember, when I first saw it, thinking, "Damn, this movie has a lot to it." Everyone I watched it with agreed. But then a few days later, I just fell back into my normal, dormant stuppor of non-awareness. To be awake, and to be alive!

I think I've reached my quota of speaking on Christianity and pop culture for the day. Both are really truly beautiful, when left unabused by the mentally deranged. Otherwise, they can get quite ugly. Quite ugly indeed. But that's not their fault.

No comments: