Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Realization: School's for Learning

This may sound kind of strange. But I just realized that I’m at school to learn. Not to get a degree. Not to get good grades. But to learn.

Woah, right?! I mean, that makes all the difference in the world. It makes my “point” more clear: my point is to learn as much as I can from classes I take while here.

I tend to just go into class, “get” the bare minimum to ace the test, and then move on. Wham, bam, thank you Ma’am!

That’s kind of dumb. No, actually, that’s really dumb.

I pride myself in minimizing the time I spend on college-work. How does that makes sense? I’m spending tons of money to be here. And I’m trying my hardest not to get the most out of it. I’m purposefully going out of my way NOT to.

And then I sit around wondering why I feel like I should be doing more SOMETHING. I’ll tell you what you should be doing more of! School work!

Man, I feel almost silly just realizing this now. I don’t know if I thought I was somehow too “good” for college or something like that. Yes, I could pass the tests without trying to master the material. But then I’ll find myself with a Bachelor’s Degree in [literally] BS. With the same ability to get a cursory understanding of things that I had before college. But having not mastered those concepts.

I’m here, and I should make the most of it. And the most of it is mastery of the material.

Click.

That’s the light bulb on my head switching on. A compact fluorescent light bulb, mind you!

Thanks to a mildly stimulating Cell Bio class for getting this thought dislodged from my head. ‘What the hell do I need to know about neurons? Oh, wait, hm? I’m here to LEARN, aren’t I. Oh, yeah!’ Neuron fires. And I know how.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, yeah. It seemed much more apparent to me that I'm here to learn because I'm going to be hired very very soon and I'm like... fuck! I have to be able to do this over there!
Kinda scared the shit out of me.